Back to Journal

Rat poison and your dog

Rat poison and dogs; they just don’t mix. Share this to save a life.

Here is “Keska”, a labrador puppy that was lucky in that the owner’s parents (dog’s grandparents) realized she was eating chunks of TomCat rat poison that was placed throughout the garage as they had mice issues. Dog came over for a play date and they forgot that this poison was out there. I guarantee almost every puppy will detect this stuff and eat it if given a chance, usually unseen by us as they are super quick and we forgot it was placed out there to begin with.

Folks, this stuff is really toxic to pretty much any animal that ingests it so it is best left on the shelf of the hardware store. Puppies are inquisitive and will eat anything they can get their mouth on-super quick like. Most of the time these dogs will show up with an unexplained bleeding issue and they crash very rapidly. Rat poisons exert their effect by causing the animal to lose the ability to clot the blood properly and they bleed to death. It takes a few days for this to happen, about 3 days or so post ingestion and the toxin can last in their system for several weeks.

So what do you do when you see them eat this stuff? Call your vet right away to ask advice on your own situation but ultimately we need to make them throw up. Generous hydrogen peroxide given orally induces them to vomit. I use a tablespoon or so per 20 lbs of dog and repeat every 3-4 minutes. If that doesn’t work after a few applications I use table salt, just pour it on their tongue, a good pile, and they will puke after that. And call your veterinarian as we need to give a shot of vitamin K and give activated charcoal orally to soak up more of the toxin if it didn’t all come out. The antidote for this is Vitamin K and it is given for 2-3 weeks post ingestion. Serious business here.

The owner only saw the dog eat half a piece of the rat poison chunk but what came out of the dog was WAY more than that. A busy puppy she was until caught red handed-or green toothed as this stuff is green.

Most common times this happens is in the spring when camps/cabins/cottages are opened up and the people forgot they put the stuff out over the winter or when the dogs visit friends/relatives that don’t have dogs and don’t realize the risk. Asking them if they have it out never is wrong when you visit someone elses home.

As to “Keeska”, we got her to vomit a lot, gave her activated charcoal and a shot of vitamin K and will stay on Vitamin K for 3 weeks. She is wagging her tail today like a Lab puppy.

Share this with your friends to remind them about this potential issue.

 

No Responses Yet

Post comment