Back to Journal

Mushrooms and your dog

It is the time of the year that mushrooms start to pop up from the soil. We have seen two suspected mushroom toxicities in puppies over the last 24 hours so now might be a good time to discuss this briefly. Both pups are doing well today.

Best thing to consider; if you have a puppy remove any and all mushrooms you see in the area they typically play in.They eat them fast and often you don’t realize they did until they start to show symptoms such as these;

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain
Weakness
Lethargy/wobbly
Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
Uncoordinated movements
Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
Seizures
Coma

Lots of different symptoms as you can see. Some are immediate and some are delayed till days after ingesting the mushroom. Some mushrooms exert their toxic effects by primarily irritating the gastrointestinal tract that leads to violent vomiting and explosive diarrhea. Others cause liver or kidney problems that show up 3 days after they eat the offending mushroom.

How to identify the toxic mushrooms versus the good ones is best left to the sites listed as they are all confusing to me.

Here are a few sites to read about the mushrooms out there;

http://www.namyco.org/mushroom_poisoning_syndromes.php
this is an excellent resource

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/identify-poisonous-mus…

http://www.vetstreet.com/…/5-common-mushrooms-that-can-pois…

Good post to share.

No Responses Yet

Post comment